New Rules for Pets

In order to import a cat or a dog from the United States or Canada, the Mexican Government is now requiring:

  1. A Health Certificate from a qualified veterinarian (printed on their letterhead) not more than six months old, that indicates that the rabies vaccinations are up-to-date.
  2. The Certificate must also state that the pet is in good health and is free of ectoparasites.
  3. Also required is proof of treatment for internal and external parasites issued within the previous six months.

To export a dog or cat from Mexico to the United States or Canada, you need to have:

  1. A health certificate issued by a qualified veterinarian (on letterhead) no more than five days before travel
  2. A photocopy of the issuing veterinarian’s credentials
  3. A vaccination card that indicates the last rabies vaccination (date of vaccination, type of vaccination) if the pet is more than three months old.

If you are exporting more than three pets, you have to obtain a Certificate of Zoosanitary Exportation.

For more information, go to

Additionally, you may only bring enough food for the trip itself; no extra rations are permitted. Also, you may not bring a dog or pet bed into Mexico

This entry was posted in Notices. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s